Friday, February 10, 2012

What is Grace?

In my opinion, GRACE is the toughest word in the world to define.  No, wait!  It's the most difficult word to explain.  There is a plethora of definitions out there, but let's face it, none of them do justice.  Let me expound on this thought through another example.  Kiss.  Define it.

Kiss-  to touch with the lips as an expression of affection, greeting, or respect

Challengemarried readers ONLY! (The rest of you...wait!!!)   Kiss your spouse when they get home today.  You already know, it will be a gazillion times better than what you just read!  Wow!  There's no comparison!  I can honestly say I don't long for another reading of that definition but I do long for Daryl's kisses.


Now, back to Grace.  Let's look at the definitions.

Grace-  1. the free and unmerited favor of God shown toward man
              2. elegance or beauty of form, manner, motion or action
              3. a charming or attractive trait or characteristic
              4. used as a title of address for a duke
              5. a short prayer at a meal asking a blessing or giving thanks
              6. a musical trill
Grace-  free gift

Challenge: (and you don't have to be married to do this one!)  Today, live with grace.  Show grace.  Enjoy God's grace.  Experience it!  Some of you may scratch your heads at this because, truly, this is not as easy for us to understand as the kiss.  I was there once too, and I certainly won't say that I am an expert on it.  Yet, I have gone from understanding the definition and quoting the verses "about" it, to experiencing it.  And like the kiss, having experienced grace, I long for it!  I love it!
     Grace must be pretty clear to God because it's all over scripture!  And there are so many places in the bible where an opening greeting is "Grace and peace to you from God our Father..."
Grace to you...   I look forward to writing more about my first understanding of real Grace!


What is Grace?  How do you explain it?  Can you put it into words?  If a child asked you to explain it, what would you say?
(Side note: Several people have sent emails mentioning that their "comments" on the blog have not come through.  I changed the settings so that anyone can comment now instead of just Google account members.  Thanks for the heads-up!)

No comments:

Post a Comment